About health & social care

 In 2014 The Care Act was passed into law to regulate the assessment and provision of care for Adults (18 years up) and Carers. This page gives links to the published guidance from the Department of Health (DoH) on assessments and an overview of the Act from Luke Clements, Cerebra Professor of Law at Cardif University.

An overview of the Care Act 2014 by Luke Clements click here

Guidance has been published about assessments, provision and eligibility of care under the 2014 Care Act. Click here to read it. 

Also in September 2014 the Children & Families Act became law which abolishes statements of SEN and replaces them with Education, Health & Care Plans (EHC Plans).  Click here to view Contact A Family's new guide to Social Care for children, "Getting Social Care Services when your Child has Additional Needs".

Print E-mail
healthwatch reading

Through healthwatch Reading you can make a complaint about hospitals, GPs, mental health services, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, opticians, 111, walk-in centres, NHS-funded private care and more.

Healthwatch Reading's advocacy team can help:

  • Explain how the NHS complaints process works.
  • Listen to your concerns and answer your questions.
  • Explain your rights.
  • Discuss all your options.
  • Get your complaint to the right people.
  • Put you in touch with other organisations.
  • Prepare with you for local resolution meetings.
  • Build up your confidence to speak for yourself.
  • Attend meetings with you.
  • Speak on your behalf if you are unable to.
  • Refer you to more specialist advocates if needed.
  • Help you go the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, if you are still dissatisfied

For more information see the healthwatch website or contact them on / 0118 902 3912