Our unique, home visiting Family Support Service provides information and practical support for individuals and families affected by learning disability.
Our Family Advisers:
- Are experienced and qualified professionals in learning disabilities (LD) and Autism (ASD)
- Are professionally led to ensure they provide the best service
- Have expert knowledge of the laws governing services for people with disabilities
- Have experience across Reading Borough Council's Children's and Adult Services.
The team can provide information and advice around:
- Health and social care
- Housing, benefits and legal issues
- Hate crime
- Leisure and social activities.
Our Family Advisers can also:
- Accompany individuals and families to appointments, appeals, reviews and court hearings
- Help to fill out forms
- Be a listening ear.
You can contact the Family Support Team by calling 0118 966 2518 between 9.30am and 1.30pm, Monday to Friday or by visiting Reading Mencap at 21 Alexandra Road, Reading RG1 5PE. An answerphone is available at other times, please leave a message.
You can arrange a home visit, an appointment at the centre or get information and advice over the telephone.
What people say about the Family Support Team:
Paulette, who cares for her 30-year-old daughter who has cerebral palsy and is also registered blind, said she couldn’t have coped without the support of Reading Mencap’s Family Advisers.
She said: “There are so many battles I have to fight to ensure she receives the correct care and benefits from simple things.
“Reading Mencap have been key in supporting me. I couldn’t have coped without their support over the last six years, to the extent I may have had to place my daughter in care or given up my job, which I enjoy.
“They’ve also saved my health and reduced my stress levels no end; they are always at the end of the phone when I or my family need them.”
“My family adviser has really helped me to carry on managing in life. She is there to talk to and to help me when I get worried about things. She helps me with my letters and I know she knows me and my situation really well. Everyone at Reading Mencap is really nice and friendly and it is a place I feel safe to go to.”